Apply to amend the Definitive Public Rights of Way map

The Definitive Map and Statement is the legal record of Public Rights of Way within West Sussex. Under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, any person can make an application to amend the Definitive Map and Statement. These applications are called Definitive Map Modification Order (DMMO) applications.

For example, you might apply:

  • if you believe a path exists but is not shown on the map
  • to change the status of existing Public Rights of Way, such as changing a footpath to a bridleway.

DMMO applications must be supported by evidence. This evidence can be evidence of actual use by members of the public or historical mapping evidence.